FHI 360 is a global development organization with a rigorous, evidence-based approach. Our professional staff includes experts in civil society, peacebuilding, health, nutrition, education, economic development, environment, and research. FHI 360 operates from 60 offices with 4,500 staff in the U.S. and around the world. Our commitment to partnerships at every level and our multidisciplinary approach enable us to have a lasting impact on the individuals, communities and countries we serve–improving lives for millions.
FHI 360 is currently recruiting for the position of Chief of Party for an anticipated five-year USAID project, Cameroon Strengthening Civil Society and Community Resilience Program, with a budget of $11 million. The goal of the project is to empower Cameroonians to address their needs through increased access to services and ability to advocate.
Availability of position is contingent upon award to FHI 360. Selection of final applicant is subject to USAID approval.
The Chief of Party (COP) will be responsible for providing overall vision, leadership, and guidance of the project. S/he will be the project’s main point of contact for USAID and all other stakeholders. The COP will also be responsible for overall project management and technical operations to ensure that project tasks are completed and project objectives are successfully met. COP may be located in either Yaoundé or Maroua (pending USAID input) with regular, frequent project-funded travel to the Far North and other areas in the North where activities will initially be implemented.
Essential Job Functions: Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead FHI 360’s in-country project team and serve as the primary point of contact with USAID regarding the day-to-day activity implementation and management matters relating to the project;
- Ensure that all assistance provided by the project is technically sound and appropriate for the needs to be addressed;
- Manage and supervise the work of project personnel and consultants;
- Serve as the primary point of contact for information on the progress and current status of all project activities;
- Establish appropriate monitoring mechanisms to ensure that activity progress and specific implementation concerns are regularly and promptly reported and that project objectives are met;
- Manage the preparation and presentation of work plans, M&E plans, and all reports;
- Facilitate ongoing project learning and adaptive management; and
- Ensure that solid relationships are built and maintained between and among FHI 360 and sub-awardee project staff, USAID, and key local stakeholders and partners.
- At least 8 years of experience successfully managing complex international programs (i.e., implementation, logistics, budgeting, reporting, and staffing), and preferably those funded by USAID and those conducted in Cameroon or other West African countries;
- Master’s degree from an accredited university in a relevant field required;
- Demonstrated success across the whole range of project management responsibilities including: strategic program planning; work planning and budgeting; financial, administrative, contractual management and oversight;
- Experience designing and implementing civil society capacity strengthening, preventing or countering violent extremism (P/CVE), community development and resilience, women peace and security, youth engagement, and/or cross-sectoral service delivery activities;
- Demonstrated success in relationship management with multiple clients; oversight of program monitoring and evaluation; and documentation of results for USAID-funded programs;
- Fluency in speaking, reading and writing in English and French required;
- Excellent interpersonal and intercultural skills with demonstrated ability to lead and work effectively in team situations, as well as mentor national staff;
- Past representational experience with host governments, other donors, and civil society and demonstrated success with inter-agency coordination and joint programming;
- Demonstrated strategic planning, staff development and capacity building experience; and
- Strong analytical capacity.
Typical Physical Demands:
- Typical office environment. Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time; ability to lift 5-50 lbs.
Technology to be Used:
- Personal Computer, Microsoft Office (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), e-mail, telephone, printer, calculator, copier, cell phones, PDAs and other hand held devices.
- 25% - 50% (pending location of office and COVID restrictions)
This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support a healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
How to Apply