Job Overview: This role sits within Global Employee Relations. This role upholds safe work environments through collaboration with HR colleagues in support of positive employee relations objectives, as well as in-depth and confidential review of critical allegations. As Employee Relations Partner you will lead the full lifecycle of workplace reviews, and act as a trusted advisor to guide and equip People and Culture colleagues in timely and consistent resolution of workplace issues. Using your HR knowledge and experience, you will recommend sound corrective actions and opportunities for improvement on complex behavioral issues. An understanding of laws, regulations, concepts and standard methodologies, ability to establish trust, credibility, best judgment, and cultural proficiency is essential for success in this exciting role.
Are you passionate about playing a key role in furthering a critical humanitarian mission of the IRC to ensure that IRC workers and beneficiaries are protected from misconduct and forms of exploitation and abuse in complex and high-risk operating environments? If so, then join us!
This role has global scope, with focus on the Central African region and reports to the Senior Director, Global Employee Relations.
- Conduct reviews of complex Employee Relations (ER) issues in a fast-paced environment, including intake meetings, background research, interviews, and de-brief meetings with various partners.
- Provide direction and partner with Country Program leadership and HR colleagues on a range of workplace matters.
- Prepare case overview summaries, findings, recommendations, and final reports, written clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, with compelling presentation of facts, analysis, and conclusions to IRC Leadership.
- Demonstrate understanding of laws, regulations, concepts, and practices applicable to workplace reviews and assessments and all aspects of employment, and provide consultation and advice to a variety of partners, as needed.
- Establish trustful and supportive professional relationships, engaging with diverse partners in the US and global context. Discern systemic issues revealed during the investigative process.
- Develop and deliver trainings designed to proactively address employee relations issues, promote standard methodology and improve compliance.
- Build capacity of HR colleagues in the management of employee relations reviews and assessments. Develop and lead interactive training in virtual and in-person settings.
- Passion for IRC's humanitarian mission!
- 6-8 years related experience in Human Resources, Employee Relations or as a Workplace Investigator, preferably in an in-house environment, including experience conducting employee relations reviews and providing guidance on complex and sometimes urgent employee relations issues.
- Experience with management of highly critical information, and ability to maintain confidentiality, including legal and financial information.
- Proven track record of interacting respectfully with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures, and communicating effectively across multiple levels in a sophisticated global organization.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Management of multiple work demands with minimum supervision in a fast-paced and multi-cultural environment.
- Ability to work both independently and in a multifaceted, cross-functional distributed team structure.
- Ability to determine own operating priorities, provide advice and develop recommendations, and implement plans, drawing upon knowledge and past experience when navigating complex issues.
- Ability to remain respectful, appreciative, and diplomatic in the face of difficult and uncomfortable situations and conversations.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to anticipate and identify legal issues.
- Excellent judgement and discretion.
- Proven organizational skills, with attention to detail, and a confirmed ability to prioritize and track reviews, assessments and initiatives across multiple teams and functions.
- Flexible work demeanor while being focused and reliable in an environment of multiple time zones and frequently changing demands in global context.
- Commitment to personal growth and development, and a willingness to regularly receive and act on performance feedback in pursuit of continuous professional growth.
Preferred experience & skills:
- Fluency in English and French.
- Knowledge of challenges in the humanitarian sector in the Central Africa region and beyond.
- Experience in workplace safeguarding.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Equality, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and implements policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Respect at Work, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, and Combating Trafficking in Persons.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity:
IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic.
Professional Standards: The IRC and IRC staff must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Global Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, Equality and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti-Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
How to Apply