Forest Peoples Programme (FPP) is looking for an experienced safeguarding specialist who can work confidently in French, to support FPP’s team in Cameroon and local partners, to ensure that their respective safeguarding policies are robust, understood and disseminated to the communities with whom they work.
Forest Peoples Programme (FPP) is an international NGO that supports forest peoples to assert their rights to control and manage their territories and forests. FPP supports communities to open up space to address the various threats to their human rights, and particularly their territorial and resource rights. FPP’s work, which mainstreams gender considerations, involves providing legal and technical assistance to indigenous peoples and other forest dependent communities to secure their human rights; on facilitating local community governance through mechanisms including territorial mapping, participatory land tenure assessments, documentation of traditional knowledge; and holding international financial institutions and companies accountable where they violate or risk violating the human rights of forest peoples. FPP works with forest peoples in South America, Africa, and Asia, to help them secure their rights, build up their own organisations and negotiate with governments and companies to ensure that any economic and conservation activities on their lands respect their rights to self-determination. For more information see our website www.forestpeoples.org
In relation to safeguarding, FPP recognises the need to train and support its in-country staff and that of its partner organisations on how to best integrate and disseminate its safeguarding policies and how to open conversations on safeguarding issues in communities. It is with this in mind that FPP is looking for a safeguarding specialist to lead the training.
Outline of the tasks
The consultant is encouraged to propose their own methodology and approach to the assignment, which will include two main outputs. The candidate may wish to apply for either one of the two outputs or both of them together:
• Training for FPP Cameroon staff on rollout of FPP’s Safeguarding Policy
• Training for FPP Cameroon staff on how to facilitate future safeguarding training with partners
• Training for partner staff on understanding, review and rollout of partner Safeguarding Policy
• Production of a final report and partner facilitation guide The trainings would take place in Yaoundé and Bertoua.
Training and mentoring for FPP Cameroon’s Gender and Safeguarding Officer on:
• Facilitation of community consultations and discussions on safeguarding (and supporting partner organisations to do the same)
• Design of community-based complaints mechanisms for Baka and Bagyeli communities
• Handling, assessing and referring safeguarding reports
• Review of safeguarding policies with partners This second output is likely to involve work with the Gender and Safeguarding Officer in Yaoundé and at least one community consultation exercise in a community, as well as some distance coaching.
Output 1 is likely to involve 8 days of consultant time in total, including preparation and delivery of training. Ideally, we would like the training to take place in April 2020 in Yaoundé and Bertoua, Cameroon.
Output 2 is likely to involve 10 days of consultant time in total, with some in situ work in Cameroon, in Yaoundé and in one community in South or East Cameroon, and some distance coaching.
• Extensive experience of developing, implementing and reviewing safeguarding policies and procedures with civil society organisations
• Experience of working in cross-cultural contexts, particularly working with indigenous and local communities, preferably in the Congo Basin
• Excellent trainer and facilitator (in French)
How to Apply
Candidates are invited to submit a proposal of approx. 4 pages, outlining their approach to the tasks and an estimation of costs and accompanied by a CV. The closing date for proposals is 1st March 2020 and the preferred time for training delivery of output 1 is April 2020 and delivery of output 2 is from April 2020 until July 2020. Any questions concerning the consultancy and all proposals can be submitted to the Cameroon Country Lead: email@example.com